CLASS 1: Odysseus as a Journey Hero.
- Vocabulary for Archetype packet.
Recommended that you make a Quizlet to help you study. Quiz Friday.
- The Odyssey. We will review. You will read and annotate it for homework. It is on page 80 in your archetype packet.
- Link to it in the Monomyth Chart. https://docs.google.com/a/lexingtonma.org/file/d/0B138s290muooQm84YzNkR0ZZRms/edit
- John Green’s Crash Course in Literature link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS4jk5kavy4
- Discuss and answer these questions with textual evidence: https://docs.google.com/a/lexingtonma.org/file/d/0B138s290muoob0tBUk1Uck5FalE/edit
CLASS 2: What makes a Journey Hero?
Students will review: How is Odysseus heroic? How is he similar to other journey heroes we have studied? What are his positive and negative traits?
- Students will then read and annotate: The Hobbit excerpt and the Superman article. What students do not complete in class will be homework.
Students also need to study vocab words for Friday’s quiz.
CLASS 3: Understanding the Mentor Archetype.
Students will develop an understanding of the mentor archetype and how the character functions in a story. Students will also practice annotation and close reading.
- Watch and follow along with these videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZPrMXxHfEs
Lessons from Mentors in films: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2wIuTdf5FQ
- Begin to Read and Annotate “The Cave” by Jean McCord. Finish for HW. Study for vocab quiz tomorrow.
CLASS 4: Vocab Skills & Analyzing “The Cave” mentor.
- VOCAB QUIZ.
- After the quiz, begin reading comprehension questions for “The Cave”. https://docs.google.com/a/lexingtonma.org/document/d/1l13-5eit1GceeVRsWMFq9Sa8Tfv5nnchee9Lamo8ro8/edit?usp=sharing
HW: Read and Annotate “Prometheus” for Monday.